A roundup of local hospital news
Easton Hospital has named Janine Santee as 2013 Employee of the Year. This award is the highest honor bestowed on a hospital employee each year. Santee was chosen from among 1,300 employees for the honor.
Jonathan Reese Slotkin, MD, Director of Spinal Surgery and Spinal Cord Injury Research at Geisinger Health System’s Neurosciences Institute, has been named to Becker’s Hospital Review’s list of “Spine Surgeons Leading Registry Efforts.”
Glenn Steele Jr., MD, PhD, President and CEO of Geisinger Health System, has been named to Becker’s Hospital Review’s list of “40 of the Smartest People in Healthcare,” which highlights individuals who stand out as having the intellect and acumen needed to spearhead successful reform.
Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Network has welcomed SuAnn Chen, MD, a physical medicine and rehabilitation physician, to its Physician Group. Dr. Chen specializes in brain injury rehabilitation. She will treat patients at Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Hospital–Allentown.
Sandeep Singh, MD, recently joined Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Network as Division Medical Officer and Vice President of Medical Affairs. Dr. Singh will guide Good Shepherd’s overall strategy for inpatient and outpatient physical medicine and rehabilitation, including strategic planning, program development, physician leadership, quality, service and clinical care.
LEHIGH VALLEY HEALTH NETWORK
Robert Barraco, MD, Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Geriatric Trauma and Trauma Outreach at LVHN, has been appointed Interim Associate Dean for Educational Affairs for SELECT, the unique medical education program established by LVHN and the University of South Florida Health Morsani College of Medicine.
READING HEALTH SYSTEM
Kelley C. Crozier, MD, has been named Chair of the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. This 12th clinical department at Reading Health System encompasses inpatient, outpatient and ambulatory services in the fields of physiatry, brain injury rehabilitation, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and audiology.
ST. LUKE’S UNIVERSITY HEALTH NETWORK
Steven Puccio, DO, of St. Luke’s Orthopaedic Specialists, is performing a groundbreaking, minimally invasive sacroiliac (SI) fusion procedure at St. Luke’s University Hospital–Bethlehem. The procedure enables patients to heal far more quickly — two to three weeks versus the six months typical of the traditional SI fusion procedure. Dr. Puccio, who performs an average of six SI procedures a month, has witnessed the dramatic changes it makes in his patients’ lives.
WILKES-BARRE GENERAL HOSPITAL
Commonwealth Health recently welcomed OB/GYN William Walker, MD, to the medical staff of Wilkes-Barre General Hospital. Dr. Walker comes to Wilkes-Barre General Hospital after 12 years in private solo practice in Lancaster, Pa. His local OB/GYN experience also includes eight years with Geisinger–Tunkhannock and four years at Pocono Medical Center, East Stroudsburg.
Wilkes-Barre native Patricia Ihnat, DO, has been appointed Chair of the Department of Emergency Services at Wilkes-Barre General Hospital. Dr. Ihnat has practiced at the facility since October 2011.
Valley Preferred has appointed Sarah Engler, CHES, as Health Educator and Certified Health Education Specialist and promoted Kristin Behler, MPH, MCHES, as Manager, Health Education and Wellness, of Valley Preferred’s BeneFIT Corporate Wellness program.
Find the following additional news articles at easternpennsylvania.mdnews.com/press-releases:
- Easton Hospital Launches New Diabetes Education Program
- Geisinger Wyoming Valley Named One of Safest Hospitals in Country
- Geisinger Earns Joint Accreditation for Continuing Education Program
- Geisinger Endocrinologist Named to Quality Improvement Committee
- Geisinger Hospitals Two of First in Country Certified in Geriatric Fracture Care
- GMC, GWV earn Women’s Choice Awards as America’s Best Breast Centers by the American College of Radiology
POCONO HEALTH SYSTEM
- Pocono Medical Center Earns Blue Distinction Center+ Award for Cardiac Care
- PMC Financial Counselors Have Helped Hundreds of Residents Get Health Insurance
- Pocono Medical Center Joins the Jefferson Neuroscience Network
- Schuylkill Health Introduces New Physician Neurology Practice
- St. Luke’s Miners Campus Home Health Division Receives Press Ganey 2013 Guardian of Excellence Award for Achieving 95th Percentile in Patient Satisfaction
- St. Luke’s and the Hospital Association of PA Succeed in Repealing Outdated Breast Disease Treatment Consent Form
- St. Luke’s Saves Penn State Student from Respiratory Failure; Latest Technology Performs Heart and Lung Duties
- St. Luke’s Participates in Interventional Clinical Trial to Evaluate the Benefits of the Tested Melanoma Drug PV-10 in Patients with Late-Stage Liver Cancer
- A Radiologist’s Response to Canadian Mammography Study
- St. Luke’s Opens Center for Positive Aging in Bethlehem
- St. Luke’s University Hospital–Bethlehem and St. Luke’s Allentown Campus Earn Chest Pain Center Accreditation
- Updox Launches First CRM Solution Designed for Independent Physicians